At last, a freecell game for the Mac that doesn't suck
The imaginatively-titled “Freecell” is a
Mac OS X version of the classic solitaire game.
Freecell is a solitaire card game in which almost any deal can be won,
if you have enough skill. The card table consists of four free cells
(top left), four stacks (top right), and eight columns (bottom).
A shuffled deck of cards is dealt face up into eight columns. Your goal
is to move all of the cards from the columns to the stacks. The stacks
must be made in rank order, starting with aces, then twos, threes, and
Cards may be moved between columns, within some rules. You can only move
one card onto another which has the next rank up, and the cards must be
of opposite colour. For example, you can move the five of hearts onto
the six of clubs.
Finally, cards may be moved to and from the free cells at the top left.
Each free cell can hold one card at a time. Empty columns act like free
- 2.2 (v56)
- Fix graphics error highlighted by Mac OS X Leopard and above.
- Remove donation request.
- Universal build by Matt Neuburg. Thanks!
- 2.1 (v55)
- Freecell is now a Universal Binary.
- Updated Japanese localisation (thanks to Keiichi SHIMA).
- 2.0.3 (v52)
- Freecell games now correspond to the Windows version. Play the
same games as your PC-using friends! Thanks to Lowell Stewart for
- Updated and improved French translation, many thanks to
- Bug-fix: preferences window now always shows the correct
- 2.0.2 (v47)
- Clearer card graphics, thanks to David Clark
- Bug fixes:
- Time elapsed now remains when the game is over
- Now doesn't ask for a donation if you've donated already
- Corrected errors in translations (my fault, not the
- 2.0.1 (v46)
- Translations! Thanks to:
- Paul Bansagi (Dutch)
- Laurent Prud'homme (French)
- Keiichi Shima (Japanese)
- Ivan Ramirez (Spanish)
- Lauri Hynninen (Finnish)
- History window is now resizable, for those of you with huge
numbers of games played.
- Fixed a crashing bug when using the hint functionality. Thanks
to Andy Christ for reporting the problem.
- 2.0 (v45)
- Beautiful new card graphics from the GNOME project
- Status bar showing time elapsed and moves made
- Clearer display of free cells and card stacks
- Percentage of games won displayed in the history window
- Window position remembered between application runs
- Many bug fixes in the interface and gameplay
- 1.3 (v32)
- Translations: Dutch (Paul Bansagi), French (Laurent Prud'homme)
- Preferences which aid gameplay are now enabled by default
- Choose your own background colour
- Fixed bugs in hint function, history view, and interface
- 1.2 (v29)
- Restructured project to allow localisation: please send in
- Display number of moves made when a game is won or lost
- Properly resize columns of cards when they are taller than the
- Option to display parity symbols, an idea proposed by Charles
- Fixed other minor bugs
- 1.1 (v28)